Welcome – Sports Blog 2019
This is the first week of the Student Athlete Program. This program is designed to improve the character, sportsmanship and leadership of high school athletes. This program should be fun and engaging. It is not supposed to be “one more thing” or “something you have to do.” Each week we will focus on a different trait.
|Season 1||Season 2||Season 3|
To teach each trait, you will receive 7 daily lessons via our online app. Each day of the week is different and the format looks like this.
- Monday Life Lesson – Powerful pre-recorded life lessons delivered by coaches and athletes.
- Tuesday Sports Blog – Dr. Hoedel will author a sports-based blog about current events related to character and leadership.
- Wednesday Role Model – Students will read about a group of diversified sports-oriented role models that exemplify the traits covered in the program.
- Thursday Dilemma – Students will respond to sports-oriented ethical dilemmas to teach decision-making skills and ethics.
- Friday Pep Talk – Passionate speeches from coaches via YouTube will be viewable to get athletes ready for the big game.
- Saturday Movie Clip – Segments from character-based popular sports movies will be viewed and discussed.
- Sunday Goals – Student-athletes will complete short assignments to improve their individual and team performance.
Purpose of Blog: Every week I will sit at my computer and write about a sports-related current event about character and leadership. In the blog, I usually provide my perspective, a video link and discussion questions. The purpose of this blog is to make a simple point – character and leadership matter today! Some of these stories will be inspirational and some will teach tough lessons. Sometimes it will be about someone who ruined his/her life with one bad decision and sometimes it will be about a selfless act that positively changed someone’s life. The joy of writing this blog is that I never know what will transpire that will become a blog post.
My Hope #1 – Read It: Every Tuesday you will receive a notification via the app about the new blog post. To be honest, I spend 2-5 hours every week researching and writing these blogs and I would hate it if no one ever read these posts.
My Hope #2 – Comment: For each post, I will provide discussion questions. Respond to them and let me know what you think about the story. Be articulate. Don’t just say you disagree – say what you disagree with and back it up with a solid rationale. Keep it clean. Don’t swear or put down other students’ views. It is a character and leadership site, so I will filter comments that are non-productive.
My Hope #3 – Be Inspired: I hope that these blogs will inspire you and that one or many of them will change the way you approach life. I believe that students can be inspired and want to be inspired. People and stories can be the source of that inspiration.
- Tell me what state you are from and the name of your school?
- How do you think improving your character and leadership will help you in athletics and in life?
Ohio, Mount Vernon High School. It will help us come together more as a team if we have more leaders and in life it’ll make me more successful and the others around me more successful.
I think if people offer to help other players I think that could help people with leadership.
I go to Mount Vernon High School in Ohio.
It will open my mind to see better ways to improve the people around me. It will also help me become a better person.
1. I am from Indiana & my school’s name is Crawfordsville High School.
2. Improving my character & leadership will help me in my athletics and in life by always having a positive attitude no matter what life throws at me.
South Dakota Waverly south shore school
Stand up for causes that would make the world a better place
i’m from Grandview Highschool in Grandview, Texas. Improving my character and leadership skills will help me guide my team to do the right things and make me a better person and push myself to always give my best effort!
1. Crawfordsville High School in Indiana
2. It will help me be more successful, coachable, and someone people can depend on, on the court.
Wisconsin, Crivitz High School. I think that improving my character and leadership will help me become a better team player and a more positive person.
I am from Ohio and Mount Vernon High School. I think that improving my character and leadership will help me to become a better teammate and a better citizen.
I attend Crivitz High School in Wisconsin and I think improving character skills will developed a better view on the game and in life it will make yourself a better communicator and make the others around you follow in your footsteps.
Lamphere high school
It’ll help the team to keep moving
I’m from Grandview high school in Grandview Texas. Improving my character and leadership will help me work together more with my team. It will help us get closer and to reach our goals. It will also make me a better person out of athletics to help others out when they need it and have a positive attitude.
I am from Grandview, Texas and I go to Grandview Highschool. Improving my character and leadership will help me become successful, push myself, become stronger, and have a positive attitude.
1. northview high school
2.It will help me be more successful
1.) Northview High School
2.) It will help me and whoever else is around me be more successful.
Lamphere High School, Michigan
Improving your character and leadership will help you deal with difficult situations in life and sports by showing you how to guide and work with others well
1. I am from Indiana and my school is Crawfordsville High School.
2. It will help me be more successful and a better role model for underclassmen
I am from Lamphere high school. It will help me be more successful.
1. I’m from Michigan and I go to lamphere high school.
2. I think it’ll help me be a better person and be more successful. It will also help me have a better mindset.
1. I am from Lamphere high school
2. It will help me be more successful
Michigan, Lamphere High School.
It will bring a positive attirude which will help set the tone making us successful as a team.
I am from Michigan. I go to Lamphere High School. I think building my character and leadership can help me in so many ways by helping me in tough situations, pushing me past my limits, and inspiring me to always do better and grow.
1: I am from Crawfordsville Highschool, Indiana.
2: Improving my character will help me build a better mindset & have a good motivation for certain goals for bumps in the road to that goal & to keep pushing with a positive attitude.
I go to MVHS in Ohio. I believe it will help me be a people leader on the field who can motivate people and be a good manager of people in the workforce.
I was born in Indiana and my school is Northview High School and it will help us be more of a team and work more together than fighting each other.
I’m from brazil indiana and my school is Northview high school and this will help the team work more together and more effectively
Indiana, Northview High School and improving my character and leadership will help me be a better team mate, as well as help me work with others when I’m older because almost every job requires you to work as a team.
1. South Dakota, Waverly South Shore School
2. Improving character and leadership can help you in many ways, one of them being it will make you a better teammate, and overall a better person to work with in groups projects for work or even school.
I’m from Madison Memorial High School in Madison, WI. I think character and leadership skills are skills that most employers look for, so the skills I use now for athletics will translate into the skills I use in life after sports.
Wisconsin, Madison Memorial High school. Improving my character and leadership will help me connect with my team better and could help me get a job or get promoted quicker.
I’m from brazil indiana and my school is Northview high school and to help the team work more effectively and work as one
1.) I’m from Lamphere high school
2.) Improving my character and leadership will help me by keeping my team while and help improving my team and making us better people
1) Lamphere High School Michigan
2) Improving my leadership in sports will help me have a better mindset and positive attitude in athletics and other aspects of my life.
Michigan, Lamphere High School, this can bring a positive attitude towards me and the rest of my team and better ourselves and our abilities.
1. Northview High School
2. Improving my character and leadership will help me become a better teammate and a better leader.
1. Michigan, Lamphere High School
2. Improving my character and leadership will help me in life and sports because if you are being a leader and have a positive character your surroundings also will be similar.
I’m from Northview High School in Indiana and it will help me be a better team mate.
1. Indiana, Crawfordsville High School
2. I think improving leadership will help show our school character, and help up show that our school is responsible, and respectful
I live in Indiana and got to Northview High School and improving my character and leadership will help our team work harder and so we trust each other more and in life it will help when I get a job so I will trust other workers so we will work as a team.
I live in Indiana and go to Northview High School and improving my character and leadership will help our team work harder so we trust each other more and in life it will help when I get a job so I will trust other workers so we will work as a team.
I am from Wisconsin and I go to crivitz high school. I think that improving my character and leadership will help me to become a better teammate and a more coachable athlete.
I’m from Michigan and go to Lamphere High school
Improving my character and leadership will help me because I could be positive and help the team out.
I live in Michigan , I go to Lamphere high school . I think improving my character and leadership will teach me to be positive and helpful even when everyone around me is not doing the same.
I go to Lamphere High School in Michigan
It will help me to be a better person and be more understanding of my teams and all people
1. Michigan and Lamphere high school
2. I will have team building skills
Lamphere high school
By being more excited about the sport will make you do better
1. I’m from lamphere high school
2. It will help me have a better mind set and help me be more successful
i’m from grandview and i go to grandview highschool, and i’m trying to improve by trying to lead my team into doing what’s best for us to win and be successful and pushing myself to be a better leader in life
I am from grandview,tx and i go to grandview high school ! I think this will be oft are team, because it will help me be more positive and help are team be more coach able.
From Madison WI. Attend James Madison Memorial High School. Improving my character and leadership will help me became a better leader and a person to look up to for anything on and off the court. I also think improving my character and leadership will help me view the world the right way and take life seriously.
I go to Lamphere High School in Michigan. I think improving my character and leadership will help me athletically by being a better captain to my team. Hopefully, in the future it allows me to be a better nurse and push to be head of my area.
Improving my character and leadership will me in athletics and in life because it will allow me to be able to readily interact with others in a positive way.
This is really inspirational to my student athlete experience
1.) I’m from Indiana, and our schools name is Crawfordsville High School
2.) I think that it will help me focus and have a positive attitude for the outcomes that come along in the future. It would help me to be able to help others out when help is needed. It would also help the team as a whole to be respectful and responsible.
Wisconsin, Hartford Union High School
Right now I’m trying to get on the varsity tennis team and by building my character and my leadership skills I am becoming a better player and will then have a better chance at making the team.
1) I’m from Indiana and I go to Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School.
2) Although at first everyone may have seemed reluctant, I think that this is a great way for the team to not only work together and learn in new ways, but to also shape us into good leaders both as an athlete and not.
Waverly South Shore SD
Improving my character and leadership skills would help the team. It would influence my teammates to have positive leadership skills too.
Im from Crivitz High School in Wisconsin. It definitely helped me find the leader in myself and become more confident when I am out for sports. It helps me enjoy sports more and it also helps me socially in life.
Wisconsin, Hartford high school
Leadership helps to build self esteem and can help u stay positive for both sports and life.
1. Hartford Union High School in Wisconsin
2. It will help you and the people around you be more positive. Therefore, your team will be much more successful with a positive attitude.
Indiana, Elwood Community High School. I am trying to be a better leader by trying to find what everyone likes and how they act and lear so i can help them understand
Indiana, Crawfordsville High School.
I think improving my character and leadership will help me become a better teammate and a better person in life.
Mount Vernon High School, Ohio. I think improving leadership and character will make us all more successful in sports and in life. I think it’ll make us all more understanding, coachable, and gain more team building skills that we can use in all aspects of our lives.
Wisconsin, Hartford Union High. Growing in my leadership will help me encourage newer players and make them believe in themselves as I believe in them. Outside of sports, leadership will help me improve my group work skills and help me work out disagreements more efficiently.
Elwood high school, Indiana. It will help everyone be more positive and we will want to be there.
Character and leadership will help me because I could be a future leader of the team.
I’m from Bronson, MI and I think it will help because if you are the leader then more people look up to you and more people will respect you
1. Hartford Union High School, Wi
2. It will help because then I will be more trusted by my teammates and we can all work together better
I live in Wisconsin and go to Hartford Union High School. Character and leadership helps you in athletics because your teammates will get along with you and will have good team chemistry. It also helps you with life because people will respect and have faith in you.
I live in Wisconsin and go to Hartford Union Hight School. Character and leadership helps your team become closer and is a good life skill.
1. I am from Indiana and go to Brebeuf Jesuit.
2- Improving my leadership will help me in athletics by shaping me into a more coachable, successful, positive teammate that will always give 120% effort. Off the court, improved leadership will help me with my communication and work skills.
i live in indianapolis and doing these activities can help athletics shape how we act off of the field
1. Wisconsin. Stoughton High School
2. I think improving your character and leadership will help everyone on the team to be on the same page and will help you communicate better
Indiana and go to Elwood high school. Doing these activities now can really show off in practice or in the court or field
Lamphere High School in Madison Heights Michigan. Improving my leadership will help me help people and show them the right way/thing to do
1. I live in indianapolis and go to brebeuf
2. Character and leadership are fundamentals for business and cooperation later in life
1. I live in Indiana and go to brebeuf.
2. Improving your character and leadership will help you work with your teammates.
1. Wisconsin, Hartford Union High School
2. Having good character and leadership can help you have better relationships with teammates. You will play better together and will have more success. We also might do better in a job if you have good character and leadership.
Improving my character and leading ship will help me on the course and out of sports . It will help working with my teammates on the course and in school.
Improving my character and leading ship will help me on the course and out of sports . It will help working with my teammates on the course and in school.
1. Wisconsin, Stoughton High School.
2. It will help me to be more successful in life.
1. Stoughton wi stoughton high school
2. I think it will keep you more positive and help you work harder.
I am from Terra Haute, Indiana, and moved to Brazil, Indiana. I go to NorthView High School
I know that improving my character and leadership skills will help me in athletics and life because it not only helps make me a better person, it helps be be a better player too.
Indiana and Elwood Community High School. I believe that it’s just not about being good at the sport it’s about showing sportsmanship and helping each other out to become better
i am from waukesha west highschool and i believe in order to succeed in a sport you need to show you want to be on that team with sportsmanship.
I go to Stoughton High School in Wisconsin, and I think that positive character on and off the court helps to make playing more enjoyable and worthwhile for me and my teammates.
I am from Wisconsin and I go to Stoughton High School. I believe that being a good person on and off the court can create a better environment to be in.
From Indiana and go to Elwood Community High. This leadership will help in the future knowing that i don’t always have to follow people
wisconsin, shs, being a leader when ur on the court is beneficial so people have someone to follow and off the court it keeps everyone in tact and in a generally good environment
being a leader in and out of the pool is important for team bonding and to make me a better swimmer over all
being a leader gives motivation to other teammates witch will help me, and others improve.
I think this is an inspirational passage because it proves that i can pave my own path and not follow other people’s example.
It will help me in leadership because I will understand what i’m doing and be able to teach others to do it as well.
being a leader gives motivation to other teammates witch will help me, and others improve in our skills and mentalities.
I am from Indiana, and I attend Brebeuf Jesuit. Being a team leader and upholding morals and characteristics that can help lead my team will improve my relations with teammates and friends/family. Being aware of self and a taking on leadership qualities will also improve my image of self, and hopefully will lessen my negative self talk.
I think improving my leadership will help my skills in my sport and my life because it’ll teach me to not only how to be a team player, but to also be more of a leader role in my life with my friends, family, and in the classroom.
Much of what we do physically is based on l the limits we mentally, mistakenly place in ourselves. Improving character involves determination, positivity, confidence, and coming up with strategies for your goals. All these qualities are qualities that are shared by champion athletes.
I’m from Indiana and I go to Brebeuf Jesuit. This will help me become a better leader and that will help in athletics to follow rules.