Welcome Sports Blog – 2021
We are hoping that 2021 is a return to normal for you athletes and coaches. Not the “new normal,” but normal – where kids return to the classroom full time and athletes return to the athletic fields. Further, we hope athletes don’t have to wear masks while playing sports and their seasons don’t get interrupted or canceled because a couple of kids get covid. We hope athletics can return to the pursuit of being the best you can be and also learning life lessons that will last you a lifetime.
This is the first week of the Student Athlete Program. This program is designed to improve the character, sportsmanship and leadership of high school athletes. This program should be fun and engaging. It is not supposed to be “one more thing” or “something you have to do.” Each week we will focus on a different trait.
|Season 1||Season 2||Season 3|
To teach each trait, you will receive 6 daily lessons via our online app. Each day of the week is different and the format looks like this.
- Monday Life Lesson – Powerful pre-recorded life lessons delivered by coaches and athletes.
- Tuesday Sports Blog – Dr. Hoedel will author a sports-based blog about current events related to character and leadership.
- Wednesday Role Model – Students will read about a group of diversified sports-oriented role models that exemplify the traits covered in the program.
- Thursday Dilemma – Students will respond to sports-oriented ethical dilemmas to teach decision-making skills and ethics.
- Friday Movie Clip – Segments from character-based popular sports movies will be viewed and discussed.
- Weekend Tasks – Student-athletes will complete short assignments to improve their individual and team performance.
Purpose of Blog: Every week I will sit at my computer and write about a sports-related current event about character and leadership. In the blog, I usually provide my perspective, a video link and discussion questions. The purpose of this blog is to make a simple point – character and leadership matter today! Some of these stories will be inspirational and some will teach tough lessons. Sometimes it will be about someone who ruined his/her life with one bad decision and sometimes it will be about a selfless act that positively changed someone’s life. The joy of writing this blog is that I never know what will transpire that will become a blog post.
My Hope #1 – Read It: Every Tuesday you will receive a notification via the app about the new blog post. To be honest, I spend 2-5 hours every week researching and writing these blogs and I would hate it if no one ever read these posts.
My Hope #2 – Comment: For each post, I will provide discussion questions. Respond to them and let me know what you think about the story. Be articulate. Don’t just say you disagree – say what you disagree with and back it up with a solid rationale. Keep it clean. Don’t swear or put down other students’ views. It is a character and leadership site, so I will filter comments that are non-productive.
My Hope #3 – Be Inspired: I hope that these blogs will inspire you and that one or many of them will change the way you approach life. I believe that students can be inspired and want to be inspired. People and stories can be the source of that inspiration.
- Tell me what state you are from and the name of your school?
- How do you think improving your character and leadership will help you in athletics and in life?