Welcome Sports Blog – 2023
This is the first blog post of the 2022 school year. Typically, this is about a current event related to sports, but today I just want to hear from you. I also want to introduce you to this program – an app-based program we call the Student Athlete Program. This program is designed to improve the character, sportsmanship and leadership of high school athletes. This program should be fun and engaging. It is not supposed to be “one more thing” or “something you have to do.”
Each week, we ask you to complete the five lessons. It will take you approximately 12 minutes per week. This is a minimum expectation that creates maximum benefit. We release these 5 lessons each Sunday. We expect you to complete the lessons and answer one reflective question after each lesson. Your responses will go directly to your coach’s app. Your coach will select one of these five lessons and bring it into practice once a week to lead a meaningful conversation with the team. Week 1 focuses on goal-setting. Each week thereafter focuses on a different trait.
To teach each trait, you will receive 5 daily lessons via our app. Each day of the week is different and the format looks like this.
- Monday Life Lesson – Powerful pre-recorded life lessons delivered by coaches and athletes.
- Tuesday Sports Blog – Dr. Hoedel authors a sports-based blog about current events related to character and leadership.
- Wednesday Role Model – Students read about a sports role model that exemplifies the traits covered in the program.
- Thursday Dilemma – Students respond to sports-related ethical dilemmas to teach decision-making skills and ethics.
- Friday Movie Clip – Segments from character-based popular sports movies are viewed and discussed.
Purpose of Blog: Every week I will write about a sports-related current event about character and leadership. In the blog, I usually provide my perspective, a video link and discussion questions. The purpose of this blog is to make a simple point – character and leadership matter today! Some of these stories will be inspirational and some will teach tough lessons. Sometimes it will be about someone who ruined his/her life with one bad decision and sometimes it will be about a selfless act that positively changed someone’s life.
My Hope – Read It, comment and be inspired: To be honest, I spend 2-3 hours every week researching and writing these blogs. For each post, I will provide discussion questions. Respond to them and let me know what you think about the story. Be articulate. Don’t just say you disagree – say what you disagree with and back it up with a solid rationale. Keep it clean. Don’t swear or put down other students’ views. This is a character and leadership site, so I will filter comments that are non-productive. I hope that these blogs will inspire you and that one or many of them will change the way you approach life. I believe that students can be inspired and want to be inspired. People and stories can be the source of that inspiration.
- Tell me what state you are from and the name of your school.
- How do you think improving your character and leadership will help you in athletics and in life?